Saturday, November 22, 2008

Weather Chaos in Germany

I woke up this morning to find:

Snow on the balcony!



Snow on the cars!



Snow in the trees!



Much to my delight when I left the house later in the morning it was really snowing!







I headed out to Schoneberg district, first to the Konigskolonnaen (Royal Colonnades) which is a pretty park with neoclassical columns and Greek-replica statues. Something tells me these roses are not going to make it too much longer.




The columns flanking the entrance to the North,


and to the South of the main entrance.


View from the path.


View from far end of the park.


At the back end of the park is Kammergericht court house. A few nights ago I watched the movie 'Sophie Scholl - the Final Days' about a group of young students from Munich who tried to incite a resistance movement against the Nazis in 1944. True story and a good movie. Before being sentenced to death, Sophie's final statement predicts that soon the evil Judge Freisler will be where she is then. Quite dramatic. Turns out her prediction was not too far off. In 1945 allied bombing caused the back end of this building to blow up, further causing a giant beam to crush Judge Freisler to death. Rather poetic I thought. The building was restored in the late '90's and is once again being used as a court house.



So, after 4 hours of freezing my butt off in Schoneberg, I returned home to Greg who told me that today's newspapers called our recent weather 'chaotic' and even CTV news mentioned our 'crazy' weather. On that note I leave you with this:

No comments: