Monday, March 2, 2009

Alte Nationalgalerie

This was the last museum on Museum Island that I hadn't been too (waiting for it to be open of free on Thursday evenings again). It's Berlin's museum of 19th c. art, which translates into a lot of portraits and landscapes. For every picture I'm posting here I have the info (artist and title) in case anyone wants it.

I love this style of portrait. I've even seen Picasso examples.


I also love when artists painted their wives (and women in general) realistically.


She looks... bored?


I would not want to run into this guy in a dark alley...


... or his mother.


Could this kid be any more beautiful?


The best discovery of the evening was Adolph Menzel (1815-1905). Obviously a key Berlin painter, there were a few rooms dedicated to this guy. I kind of get a Whistler feeling from some of his Paintings and I dug them all.















My favourite.

No comments: