Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bode Museum

On Thursday evening I went to Berlin's Bode (sculpture) museum.

It was some serious Della Robia heaven.







The museum showed that sadly a lot of its collection was either completely destroyed during WWII or damaged beyond repair.


Obviously there was a lot of religious sculptures, like these amazing winged alter pieces.




And I learnt that it gave you a tough image to have slain a dragon in Medieval times.



I thought Renaissance busts were supposed to be flattering?


While we're on the subject, this is one messed up Christ Child.


There were also double-life size wooden sculptures of Saints. This one is Saint Sebastian (but sadly I forget who the other is).




My dream fireplace.


Can you imagine having such ornamentation hanging over your final resting place? It both disgusts me and enchants me.




Best for last:


No comments: